I have been trying to incorporate more keto-friendly recipes into my diet to decrease my carb intake. And after recently seeing a recipe for Cacio e Pepe using cauliflower, I was inspired to create something similar. Mac n cheese is one of my guilty pleasures, but with this recipe, I don’t have to feel guilty anymore.
This is a GREAT alternative to mac n cheese. If you love the cheesy sauce from mac n cheese, then you will definitely be delighted by this. So whether you are on the keto diet or just trying to eat a little healthier, then you will love this recipe.
- 1 large head of cauliflower; cut into florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup heavy cream (or milk)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or colby cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- While you're waiting for the water to boil, cut the cauliflower into small pieces.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the cauliflower to the boiling water. Cook cauliflower for 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Butter a large baking dish and spread the cauliflower evenly in the dish.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour until it's well blended. Whisk in the heavy cream and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese and mix until sauce is smooth. Remove from heat and pour the cheese sauce on top of the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes. Let it cool 5 minutes, then serve.