The new year is coming and I decided to get a jump start on eating healthy and losing weight. If you follow me on Instagram, then you know I was trying the keto diet. I had to pause the diet because I needed to go on a soft diet after getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Now that I have fully recovered, I haven’t gone back on the diet completely because I know its HARD during the holidays to eat right. I don’t even celebrate holidays, but there is always cookies and candy and carbs and alcohol around a LOT more from Thanksgiving to New Years. So I decided to make a SMART goal and be realistic. Rather than going completely keto, I am just modifying my diet and watching my carb and sugar intake and trying to just lessen it for the rest of the year, instead of completely cutting them out.
So I found this recipe and of course added my spin to it. And let me tell you, this recipe is SO good. I made it and was impressed with myself at how great it turned out.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- season with salt and pepper according to your taste
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-2 cups of spinach, chopped
- In a large skillet add olive oil and cook the chicken on medium high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown on each side and cooked until no longer pink in center.
- Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until tender. Remove and set aside.
- To make the sauce add the butter and melt. Add garlic and cook until tender.
- Whisk in the flour until it thickens.
- Whisk in chicken broth, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- Add the spinach and let simmer until it starts to thicken and spinach wilts.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms back to the sauce and serve.
- I like a lot of sauce, so I added an additional 1/2 cup of heavy cream and an additional 1/4 cup of chicken broth when I first made this recipe.
Normally I would serve this recipe over pasta, but to make it keto-friendly, I ate this over zucchini noodles with a side of green beans. But if you’re non-keto, enjoy the pasta.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.