You may remember that back in November I tried the keto diet. It was short lived because I found out I had to get my wisdom teeth removed, so I got off keto and went on a soft foods diet for a week (aka applesauce and mashed potatoes). With the start of the new year and the strong desire to lose a little weight, I’ve decided to try the Keto diet again.
In addition to changing my eating habits, I will also be hitting the gym and sharing all my wins and losses with you. If you want to know more about keto, no worries, I will also be giving you all the Keto details, basically, a Keto 101 starting next week. So if you don’t want to miss the Keto 101 posts, you can sign up here or below and I will email you directly when I publish new posts. I’ll also be sharing some keto recipes that I am incorporating into my diet. The first recipe I wanted to share is for this Sausage Soup with Peppers and Spinach.
This delicious sausage soup doesn’t need to simmer for hours to develop great flavor. Thanks to a satisfying combination of spicy Poblano pepper, classic herbs, and an interesting blend of spices, this soup delivers lots of fantastic flavor in just over half an hour. Yes for quick and easy meals! This soup is great as a hearty appetizer or as a satisfying light meal when paired with a green salad. As an added bonus, it tastes even better as leftovers for lunch the next day!
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- ½ medium Poblano pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 1½ t. chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 c. organic sugar-free chicken stock
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 1 c. Cheddar Jack cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink inside, approximately 5 minutes. As the sausage cooks, break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add the red and Poblano pepper, celery, basil, oregano, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon to the pot. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened, around 5-6 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or just until the spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with shredded Cheddar Jack cheese and some additional diced Poblano pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
- Total carbs: 3.9 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g.
- Net carbs: 2.6 g
- *Source: VeryWell.com Recipe Analyzer
Have you tried Keto before?
Sign up below to receive all my Keto recipes and more information about the Keto Diet.
La Vida Keto